Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Stuffed Up

What is it with kids and sticking things up their noses?  I just had to pry a pebble out of my son's honker.  Last week his teacher at playschool had to do the same with a cheerio.  What exactly is it about the nose that attracts small objects like a magnet?  My son is certainly not alone in his fascination, or compulsion, to stick things up there.  I too am guilty of "stuffing" as it were.  I think I was 4 and the offending item was a Barbie tea pot top- we were half way to the hospital when I worked that pink plastic top out of my snout. As a toddler my husband evidently thought that knowing M&M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands, wasn't good enough.  He decided to see if they melted in your nose...turns out they do.  And it isn't just noses.  My sister once shoved and earring back into her ear canal.  I don't remember what the fascination felt like, why it seemed like a good idea at the time to jam something up there.  Maybe cause it fit just so...maybe my boy just likes to hear me say "how on earth did you get that up there?!"  Whatever, it is certainly is interesting to see what he will jam up there next.  Let's just hope the next time doesn't see me driving a screaming kid to the doctors office because I cant get a die cast monster truck tire out of his beak!