Friday, January 16, 2009

Waiter there is a kid in my soup

The other day my girlfriend Christine and I took the kiddos to lunch at an Applebee's down the street.  While I am not a huge fan of this restaurant it is kid friendly and they have lunch specials.  While Christine's son Evan sat quietly eating everything put in front of him, my child struggled to get out of his seat, wouldn't eat any of his lunch (I don't know why I bother to order him food at restaurants.  I think I just like to throw money down the drain...) and started screaming at the top of his lungs when I informed him that No he couldn't get down every one else was still eating.  
Please be aware that I carry what I like to call a boredom kit in my baby bag.  We are talking coloring books, crayons, stickers, books, trains, cars, you name it and I have it in that damn bag.  But was he interested in any of that? Noooooooo!  He wants to get down and inspect the fake tree behind the table.  I know what you are thinking, let the kid down for a second, look at the frikkin tree and be done with it.  But the kid was being so annoying that people at other tables were telling me to slip him a mickey.  It was happy hour after all, 2 for 1.... hmmmm a margarita for him and one for me....
Don't bother calling CPS, I didn't give him a drink.  Wanted to, but I didn't.   Instead when Evan was allowed out of his seat and standing nicely at the end of the table Christine suggested that I allow Maddie to join him.  Thinking that they would stand there together and play I relented and unleashed the beast.
BIG MISTAKE!  
And we're off!  It's Maddox out in front!  He's running down the middle of the restaurant, past the waiter....Mama is following close behind, oh poor gal looks pretty harassed!  And its Maddox making a right hand turn into the kitchen!  You heard right- the Kitchen!  And it is Mommy close behind, and she has a hand on his collar and the chase is over!  
Let me tell you the kid is fast!  So, there I was red faced saying hello to the kitchen staff as I struggled to pick Maddox up and get out of there.  
Note to self- Maddox is not to be let out of the high chair.  We may even have to wait a few years before we take the lil monkey back to a restaurant.
It is tough to keep him entertained anywhere but the Hotdog Hut at this point.  Mmmmm, I do love the Hotdog Hut.  So I guess that's okay too.